[Mailman-Users] (no subject)

Herman Knief hknief at auctionwatch.com
Tue Apr 4 19:18:06 CEST 2000

Well, I know for a fact (thanks to /var/log/messages) that I ran out of file
descriptors with Mailman and Sendmail using a stock kernel.  And from the
mods listed on the original message, you'll note the "FD_SETSIZE" value
which is coming straight out of 2.2 source.  Now, the FD limitation may have
been caused by python, generating the message queue, but, saying that
sendmail only opens one socket per entry in the queue is a bit misleading
don't you think.  Realize that sendmail may spawn n number of children
(defined in sendmail.cf.) in processing mail, and if each child takes some
number of entries in the queue, you could use quite a few file descriptors.
All I know is that the kernel mods fixed my initial problems, and then
switching to postfix dramatically improved performance from a load
perspective.

 - Herman