[Mailman-Users] embedded images broken in html mail

Mark Roedel roedelm at letu.edu
Thu Apr 6 21:27:51 CEST 2000

Had a user on one of our internal lists (where I theoretically don't mind
attachments, HTML-mail, etc.) attempt to send a message from Outlook with a
couple of inline images embedded in the message.

All the pieces of the message came through OK...the images are attached
nicely and all that.  However, they fail to appear in-line in the message
itself.  (They just show up as "broken image" icons.)

In viewing the source behind the message, I saw that the images are referred
to with a URL like "cid:332532400 at 0104200-0aae".  Am I correct in assuming
that some part of that encodes a message ID that gets changed when Mailman
resends the message?  Is there some workaround that will allow Mailman to
distribute messages like this with the pointers to the images intact?

Mark Roedel             |  "Blessed is he who has learned to laugh
Systems Programmer      |   at himself, for he shall never cease
LeTourneau University   |   to be entertained."
Longview, Texas, USA    |                           -- John Powell