[Mailman-Users] Newbie question...

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Apr 12 08:00:17 CEST 2000

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 14:40:41 -0500 (CDT)
mjn  <mjn at tc.umn.edu> wrote:

> Also how beefy is the application; ie will it be able to handle
> the traffic generated by 200+ lists without terrible problems?

The largest list I've tried under Mailman had 140,000+ members.  It
worked.  As for number of lists, that shouldn't be a problem in the
slightest.

> Any advise/wisdom you can provide would be appretiated...

If your expected traffic levels are going to be high, you are going
to need to spend time and expertise on the choice and configuration
of your MTA, your other local mailhosts (if you do smarthosting),
and on some of the lower level MailMan configs relating to how the
mail gets to an MTA.  There's nothing terribly complex in there, and
its all been discussed here on the list (see the archives).

The same is true of course for Majordomo, and the saem principles
apply -- except we haven't discussed those aspects here.

Before you roll, you might also want to hang out briefly and await
the Mailman 2.0 release and the first patches.  It is a significant
improvement over the current release and is due RSN.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu