[Mailman-Users] virtually hosted domains

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 10:14:36 CEST 2000

temple at is.asu.edu said:
> Unfortunately the domain information on the first page near the bottom
> is the "Host name this list prefers." field which I have already set
> to the virtual domain name. It still shows up as the real host name on
> the TO line.

Most likely you have got the virtual name set up as a CNAME in the DNS.
 Sendmail, being inherently evil and loving to bugger around with any
addresses it sees, will rewrite any domains that are CNAMEs to the
target domain.  [this is probably RFC correct behaviour - mail virtuals
should be done using MX records *not* CNAMEs].

Alternatively your MYA is rewriting those domains for other reasons.

Basically the "hostname this list prefers" does work so its going to be
an MTA problem.

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]