[Mailman-Users] Mailman = spam magnet?

Chris Snyder gopher at aol.net
Tue Aug 1 21:58:21 CEST 2000

One thing I've noticed since I've installed Mailman, is I'm getting spam on
my mailing lists.  Before I moved to Mailman, I never even had spam attempt
to hit these lists, as they are mostly for internal AOL use - they very
rarely, if at all, touch the Internet.  However, since I've set up Mailman
lists (with 'do not advertise this list' turned on for all lists) I've
gotten spam like you wouldn't believe.

So the question is, when I set up a new Mailman list, is it advertising this
list other than just the 'listinfo' URL?    I find this really odd because
I've set up a test list that never even was used, and it's taking spam now.

Something's up with this.  Anybody else seen anything like this?

thx
Chris.
 Chris Snyder  --  gopher at aol.net  --  WebOps SysAdmin  --  America Online