[Mailman-Users] A Vote Against Passwords

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at west.sun.com
Tue Aug 1 22:39:35 CEST 2000

Chuck Dale wrote:

> For What It's Worth:
>
>     I vote to have the password facilities in Mailman toned down. I
>     would like them removed but at least to make this optional.
>
>     And definitely to make the "Send Password Reminders Every Month"
>     option default to OFF.
>
>     I say this after another month of receiving more than 10 separate
>     password reminders. And mailman lists only account for about 1/3 of
>     the lists I am on!
>
>     All the other mailing list managers seem to do without it so why
>     waste time with it.

If you're going to require passwords (as Mailman does), it seems critical
to me that the reminder remain "on", as "I lost my password because
I can't follow welcome message instructions" is *the* number 1 complaint
of my list users.

If, and only if, there's ever a way to run a list without passwords,
then obviously the reminder should be turned off, since it's then
meaningless.