[Mailman-Users] Re: A Vote Against Passwords

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 3 01:11:17 CEST 2000

On 2000.08.02, in <200008022301.QAA11515 at utopia.west.sun.com>,
	"Dan Mick" <Dan.Mick at west.sun.com> wrote:

> > 	May I suggest a self-improvement exercise?  Volunteer some time at
> > your local library, helping newbies with computers.  Observe how people
> > have problems understanding the correlation between mouse-movement and
> > cursor-movement.  Observe how people don't understand terms like
> > "scrollbar", "button", "window", or "click".
> >
> > 	Then try to imagine having to explain passwords to these people.
>
> Those people aren't on mailing lists, because they can't find the
> keyboard to subscribe.

I'm not going to get any further into this, but you must realize that
that's not the only way people get onto mailing lists.

I'm increasingly of the impression that a lot of people on this list
deal very little, if at all, with the average computer user.  Most of
them don't go hunting lists to be part of, but many of them are
certainly on lists, and have no idea how to cope with it.

--
 -D.	dgc at uchicago.edu	NSIT	University of Chicago