[Mailman-Users] A Vote Against Passwords

Chuck Dale bug at aphid.net
Thu Aug 3 18:10:32 CEST 2000

(I must first say that I didn't really understand the tone that this
email was said in and am a little unclear as to the meanings..)

Wrote J C Lawrence on Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 08:20:39AM -0700:
> Chuck Dale <bug at aphid.net> wrote:
>
> > Wrote Gary Wilson on Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 06:20:12PM -0400:
> >> I'll add my vote for making passwords optional. Just like all the
> >> other fine options in Mailman, some lists need and want the
> >> passwords, others don't.  I'm for freedom of choice.
>
> > Thank you Gary I will agree with that and leave it there.
>
> > Too tempting to keep arguing =)
>
> Yes, well, umm, you do realise that Mailman also needs to be able to
> enforce password changing, auditing, and dictionary crack
> requirements don't you?  Say something like:
>
>   At least 8 characters
[..]

Or not. Because where is the threat in being removed from a mailing
list?

> Or we could just go the simple route and implement a PKI structure.
> Yup.

*Cheer*

Yes please. Or was that just a hint of sarcasm..

I have been playing around with RSA's CertServer and thinking a lot
about how cool it would be to have a reliable CA for the free software
community, and certificate support in apps such as CVS, Mailman etc.

Chuck

               [ charles hamilton dale <bug at aphid.net> ]