[Mailman-Users] different server, same result (install problems/questions)

paz paz at apriori.net
Tue Aug 29 15:21:02 CEST 2000

After failing to install via package and by compiling the source on a
system at work, I realized I could test installing 2.0beta5 on a FreeBSD
server at home. I still can't create a new list using bin/newlist; I get
the now familiar result:

-------------------------------------
$ ./bin/newlist
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "./bin/newlist", line 37, in ?
    import paths
ImportError: No module named paths
$
-------------------------------------

What does this mean?

I'm running FreeBSD 3.4 on both servers. The one at work is behind a
dorporate firewall, so I can't use the ports collection. The one at home
(whose results are above) can use the ports collection in the normal
manner - compiling/installing/resolving dependencies right off the net.

Installing on the server at home, I noticed a couple of interesting
things:

-- The install program did create user and group mailman, but I couldn't
su to user mailman after the install was completed. Is this by design? Are
administrators no longer supposed to su to user mailman to do things like
create new lists? The passwd file listed the home directory as "-s",
whatever that means.

-- The install directly off the net placed the files in a subdir off of
/usr/ports/distfiles; no files were copied to /home/mailman. Do we usually
copy the files there manually when done with the install?

-- Bottom line, I'm still uncertain how to actually get mailman working
properly. The automatic install from the ports collection didn't even seem
to work properly. What's necessary to resolve the "No Module Named Paths"
problem?

cheers -
-- Philip.