[Mailman-Users] Re: BIG FAT MESSY...and the problem with users.

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Dec 9 22:11:12 CET 2000

On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 13:55:24 -0600
Fred Craven <fred at cffh.com> wrote:

> So I, a user, now express a perspective that says an *option* to
> "turn of the extended headers" would be appreciated.

Conversely, I, as one who builds mail systems for a living and
spends the amjority of the rest of his professional life in 'net
related actiities, would far prefer if this was one capacity which
was not configurable.

The reasons and motives for writing the RFC that resulted in those
headers are still true.  There needs to be a concerted force to move
the state of MUAs forward, and in this case, its not a force which
can or will start with users (as it doesn't directly benefit them).
It has to start with the people who run lists, and that means the
list servers.

Now this of course doesn't mean that you can't patch you own Mailman
installs -- and in fact instructions for doing so have been posted
to the list.  What it means is that you'll likely find little
agreement for moving AWAY from the RFCs a base feature of Mailman.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                        : http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/