[Mailman-Users] Re: For the Mailman Wishlist

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 13 03:54:03 CET 2000

On 2000.12.12, in <p04330100b65c83ea4cc9@[17.216.27.247]>,
	"Chuq Von Rospach" <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> true, but if you think about it -- someone has to set up the list and
> put the aliases into a place where the MTA can access them. Doing
> this isn't significantly more work than that. If you don't have the
> cooperation of the person operating the lsit server, you won't get a
> list...

That's true in cases where the MTA (or the transport/delivery
assemblage) requires aliases to complete the Mailman integration.  I'm
looking forward to next month, when I won't have to worry about aliases
any more.

But as well, when you invoke this argument, you also bring in the need
for someone on the server's administrative staff to write or discover
the filter, and (in some or many cases) to add this to whatever
front-end software is involved in creating the list.  That's still a
potential administrative overhead that the "list administrator" doesn't
know anything about.  Perhaps not a heavy burden, but present.

I'm just arguing this to emphasize that I think that a
no-member-posting option is a reasonable wishlist item.  I think it's
fair to judge this the task of the MLM.

--
 -D.	dgc at uchicago.edu	NSIT	University of Chicago