[Mailman-Users] [Fwd: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender]

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Thu Dec 21 21:04:53 CET 2000

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 01:37:34PM -0500, Bob Puff at NLE wrote:
> Any idea why this was rejected?  I have to send through another mail server to keep from
> getting my messages bounced from python.org...
>
> Bob
> X-From_: MAILER-DAEMON  Thu Dec 21 13:08:18 2000
> >From bob  Thu Dec 21 13:08:18 2000
> Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:08:18 -0500 (EST)
> From: MAILER-DAEMON at nlenet.net (Mail Delivery System)
> Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
> To: bob at nleaudio.com

> This is the Postfix program at host main.nlenet.net.
>
> I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
> below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.
>
> For further assistance, please contact <postmaster at nlenet.net>

> delete your own text from the message returned below.
>
> 			The Postfix program
>
> <mailman-users at python.org>: host new.python.org[63.102.49.31] said: 554
>     <mailman-users at python.org>: Recipient address rejected: Relay access denied

Sounds like "new.python.org", which is the SMTP greeting (and
the A hostname) given by the host whose CNAME is mail.python.org,
is having its anti-relay configuration tweaked.

Hmm.

python.org.             1D IN MX        50 mail.python.org.
mail.python.org.        23h55m20s IN CNAME  new.python.org.
new.python.org.         23h55m20s IN A  63.102.49.31

Oops.  Not a great idea to have an MX point to a CNAME.  That'll
buy python.org trouble in some circles.  Hopefully that's a temporary
expedient.  Sorry, don't have my references handy to cite chapter and
verse.  But that's not likely the difficulty you're running into.

I'd guess it isn't where you're sending from (unless where you're
sending from is listed with ORBS or some other RBL list), but
when you're sending.  Seems to work from here, at the moment:

$ telnet mail.python.org 25
Trying 63.102.49.31...
Connected to new.python.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.python.org ESMTP Postfix (Postfix-19991231-pl13)
helo mail.ssc.com
250 mail.python.org
mail from: dan at ssc.com
250 Ok
rcpt to: mailman-users at python.org
250 Ok
quit
221 Bye
Connection closed by foreign host.

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>     Technical Manager & Correspondent
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549     Phone:  206-782-7733 x123
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549      URL    http://www.linuxjournal.com/