[Mailman-Users] Installing Mailman on an Virtual Host

Gerrit Holl gerrit.holl at pobox.com
Tue Feb 8 07:46:50 CET 2000

Joan Coyne wrote on 949949601:
> I would like to install Mailman, but I don't have root access to my server,
> only shell access.  I am using an iServer Virtual Server.  Is there anyway
> to get around the need for root access?  Does mailman have to run as its
> own user and group?

You can specify any user id Mailman needs to run on, but what you'll
certainly need is access to /cgi-bin and access to the aliases file.
The latter is probably only writable for root. This is a fundamental
problem, because Mailmans cgi-script need to be in a directory with a
Apache ScriptAlias option and without the aliases file you can't make
a mailinglist.

regards,
Gerrit.

--