[Mailman-Users] 'auto' mode for new subscribers?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Feb 21 19:14:10 CET 2000

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 00:07:15 -0500
Scott Russell <scottrus at raleigh.ibm.com> wrote:

> Mailmen - I installed 1.2 from CVS today and noticed there does
> not appear to be no 'auto' option (as majordomo has) for the var
> 'subscribe_policy'.

Correct.  I suggest going the "require approval" route and then
silently process the approvals without the members knowledge.

> The mailing lists I run will be internal to my company so
> confirmation of subscriptions is not a large concern. (In fact
> it's been noted on the current majordomo lists that many people
> are *confused* about the confirmation reply!)

Not surprised.  Mailing lists are a long way from host based forums.
(I was in Advantis/IBM Tampa)

> A second but related question. Is there a command to email
> list-request at here.com that will subscribe a user and not require
> that user to confirm the new subscription?

Not currently.  The only auto-subscribe method there is at the
moment is for the list owner via the web.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu