[Mailman-Users] CGI problem, customizing welcome message

Mark Mayo mark at vmunix.com
Mon Feb 28 09:56:55 CET 2000

Hi there. I just installed Python/Mailman. I have one issue
that I can't figure out though: I can't "save" a list config
through the CGI interface.

I can load up and display a list configuration, but when I make
a change and submit I'm just kicked back to the password screen
and none of the change made it to config.db.

Everything else works good; Postfix delivers to the wrapper
fine, and I can use the bin/config_list command to
"export/import" any config changes I want to do.

FWIW, apache (with SSL) is running as follows:

    USER    GROUP   PID COMMAND
	nobody   nobody 26632 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpsd
	nobody   nobody 26634 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpsd
	  root    other 26628 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpsd
	nobody   nobody 26630 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpsd
	nobody   nobody 26633 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpsd
	nobody   nobody 26638 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpsd
	nobody   nobody 26631 /usr/local/apache/bin/httpsd

I did a "./configure --with-cgi-gid=nobody --with-mail-gid=nobody"

bin/check_perms and bin/check_db say things are OK. ~mailman
looks like this:

	drwxrwsr-x  16 mailman  mailman      512 Feb 28 03:02 mailman

~mailman/lists/test looks like this after I first press submit:

-rw-rw-r--   1 mailman  mailman     1098 Feb 28 02:48 admindbpreamble.html
-rw-rw----   1 nobody   mailman     2841 Feb 28 03:31 config.db
-rw-rw----   1 nobody   mailman     2804 Feb 28 03:28 config.db.last
-rw-rw-r--   1 mailman  mailman      189 Feb 28 02:48 handle_opts.html
-rw-rw-r--   1 mailman  mailman     3136 Feb 28 02:48 listinfo.html
-rw-rw-r--   1 mailman  mailman        0 Feb 28 02:48 next-digest
-rw-rw-r--   1 mailman  mailman        0 Feb 28 02:48 next-digest-topics
-rw-rw-r--   1 mailman  mailman     4106 Feb 28 02:48 options.html
-rw-rw-r--   1 mailman  mailman     1169 Feb 28 02:48 roster.html
-rw-rw-r--   1 mailman  mailman      185 Feb 28 02:48 subscribe.html

If I run bin/config_list then "config.db" ownership changes to "mailman".

Am I missing something? ~mailman/logs/error is empty, and the Apache
error_log is silent as well.

Platform: SunOS vice 5.7 Generic_106541-08 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-20

Finally, I prefer the bin/config_list style of configuration anyhow, and
wouldn't mind disabling everything related to the web GUI (on a per
list level). I would like to be able to send out a welcome message to
new subscribers but not have any mention of the web GUI. I guess I want
to supply the entire welcome message. Can I accomplish this somehow?

On a related note, can the unsubscribe command be setup to not require
a password, but use a confirmation style mode of operation (something
like what majordomo or listserv do)?

Anyhow, a couple minor problems, but overall the software looks great.
I love the direct SMTP injection of mail and the ability to handle
Postfix bounce (I grabbed the latest sources from CVS).

TIA,
-Mark

--
Mark Mayo <mark at vmunix.com>