[Mailman-Users] Test List

Lin Qiu lqiu at sunyrockland.edu
Tue Feb 29 18:24:17 CET 2000

Hello all,

I'm running Linux 6.1, Mailman 1.1, Python 1.5.1 and Apache 1.3.11 and
sendmail.

My project here is to setup a list server for faculty and students to
create their own lists.

I followed the Mailman installation instruction and run

./configure with all default options.

my aliases file looks like this:

 /etc/aliases

#Test mailing list
test:                 "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post test"
test-admin:       "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner test"
test-request:     "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test"
owner-test:       test-admin
owner-test:       test-admin

I run newaliases after I update my aliases file.

I also setup a test list. I was able to create the list, login the admin
web page and subscribe to the list. I got a Confirmation email from
test-request at lqldap.mydomain.edu.

However, I was not be able to send mail to
test-request at lqldap.mydomain.edu.
Here is what I got :

"|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test"
    (expanded from: <test-request at lqldap.mydomain.edu>)

sh: wrapper not available for sendmail programs
554 "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test"... Service unavailable

When I send a email to test at lqldap.mydomain.edu, I did not get rebound.
from maillog it lists:

lqldap smrsh: uid 8: attempt to use wrapper mailowner test
lqldap sendmail[1234]: MAA01234: to="|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post
test", ...miler=prog, stat=Service unavailable
lqldap sendmail[1234]: MAA01234: MAB01234: DSN: Service unavailable
lqldap sendmail[1234]: MAB01234: MAC01234: return to sender: Service
unavailable

I look up the installation guide, it said I need to "configure smrsh by
creating a symbolic link from the mail wrapper to the directory
identifying executables allowed to run under smrsh."

I look up my /etc/smrsh, there is no files there in the directory.

Would someone show me how to configure the smrsh and create the symbolic
link ?

Thanks.

Lin