[Mailman-Users] Posting-Filter is broken in 1.1 !?

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Mon Jan 3 16:01:44 CET 2000

Quoting John A. Martin (jam at jamux.com):
>     Aaron> 2. Some posts are held because Mailman uses the "Sender:"
>     Aaron>    header item added by Netscape (Mailman should ignore
>     Aaron>    it).
>
> Maybe Mailman is doing the right thing when determine the header
> sender.  Instances that I have investigated where the Netscape
> inserted "Sender" header field differed from the mail authors
> preferred mailbox address all accurately reflected the sender's setup.

Careful reading of the RFCs indicates to me that Sender is *not* intended for
use by automated programs, they do not have to be legitimate email addresses,
and in fact would be perfectly RFC compliant if they were of the form:
Sender: Joes_Secretary at joes_office

Thus no program should be using them for anything.

--
Paul Tomblin, not speaking for anybody.
SETI at Home:  Finally a *good* way to impress Jodie Foster