[Mailman-Users] Feature questions

Rick Niess rniess at netserver3.otr.usm.edu
Fri Jan 14 03:10:02 CET 2000

Hi All,

     Some comments in addition to Mr. Giralt's:

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Victoriano Giralt wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Derek Simkowiak wrote:
> > 	I have some questions about Mailman features.
> > 	I have administered several Majordomo lists.  Creating a new list
> > is a time-consuming process involving several steps.  Without referring to
> > the documenation, I inevitably forget to create a file (like
> > listname.admin) or to set the permissions correctly.
> You are in for a nice experience :)

     Indeed.  For the unexperienced user, Mailman is _much_ easier and
less involved.  Pretty much, once you get it installed, it's a piece of
isn't a web-oriented menthod of creating a list yet. (tho that's probably
not far off) That's not to say that creating a list is hard, but there is
some shell-based work to do.

<snip>
> > 	Next question: can I alter the appearance of the web pages (white
> > background, blue and gold section headers) *without* editing Python code?
> > I haven't learned Python yet, and I wouldn't want to edit the source for
> > every new list anyhow.  Specifically, I'd like to know if I can (1) change
> > the colors, (2) change the font, and (3) Nest the stuff inside some kind
> > of header and footer--without using server side includes--by way of a
> > configuration file and/or web page.
> Questions 1 and 2 yes, even via web interface. 3, I'm affraid not.

     One clarification: you can change the appearance of each list's pages
individually via their admin web pages.  However, the appearance of the
general listinfo page and the admin pages appears to be hardcoded into
mailman for now.  FYI...

						~ Rick ~
--
.oooO "Man with closed Oooo.    Rick C. Niess
(   )   mouth gathers  (   )    University of Southern Miss.
 \ (      no foot!"     ) /     resnet at usm.edu