[Mailman-Users] problems with more then 16000 users

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Jul 20 19:56:37 CEST 2000

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000 13:38:33 -0400
Ron Peterson <rpeterson at wallacefloyd.com> wrote:

> I'm really not trying to raise anybody hackle's here.  I just had
> my password hijacked by SPAMMER, who then proceede to use my
> account to blitzgrieg the world with their crap.  It was my own
> stupid fault for picking up POP mail over the public Internet...

Yup, APOP is your friend and SSL and SSH pipes are even better.

> 16,000 members is a big list.

I'd rate it as a large list.  I wouldn't call it big any more.
Aside: I've been talking to people about lists counted in the
500K-1M member range, which makes me a little less sensitive than
others might be.

> People are not adding themselves, they are being added in bulk.

Yup.  He stated in advance he was moving to Mailman, which suggests
that there's a legacy installation he's coming from.

> If this doesn't at least raise an eyebrow, then I'd like to share
> whatever you're smoking.

If you check this archives, while the specifics of his 16K problem
are unusual, the question of how to move a list to Mailman is pretty
common, and a decent percentage of those are on problems with moving
larger lists.

Whatever, water under the bridge now.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu