[Mailman-Users] incorrect list-id

Christopher Kolar ckolar at admin.aurora.edu
Thu Jun 1 17:44:55 CEST 2000

At 10:33 AM 6/1/2000, Alexandre Denes dos Santos wrote:
>My server has the same problem, and only with the list reminders. I also
>noticed (in my case) that the list id that is assigned to all reminders of
>all lists is the id of the first list (by the order that they appear in
>listinfo).

I posted something to the developer's list about this last
month.  Apparently Mm uses the ID of the first publicly visible list on
your server for all of the monthly reminder messages.  The rationale for
this seems to be that many people getting the reminders may be on multiple
lists, so the list ID used for the reminder is really just an unimportant
placeholder so that there is not a lot of header creation confusion for
people on multiple lists.

Now that I bothered to write that out, here is one of the official replies:
Herald Meland wrote:
>I think the reasoning went like this: As any reminder message can
>contain info about more than one list membership, it's impossible to
>use the "correct" list for delivery.  Thus, as Mailman can't get this
>completely right, it rather chooses the easiest solution available;
>use the same list for all deliveries.

You can find the string in the Mm developer's list archive, the subject
line that I used was:

         wrong list info in header (b1)

Cheers,

--chris