[Mailman-Users] Q. finding users passwords and Administrivia filter

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM
Fri Jun 2 03:04:17 CEST 2000

> i've scoured through the mailing list and found others with a similar problem.
 the only workaround i thought i could come up with was a post by Dan Mick...

> "You can look up the password from the Python database with a small
> modification to bin/withlist; if you need me to dig out my hack
> to do that, I can."
>
> please do!  i might be able to write something that would bypass the need to
submit a password with a unsub request.

Well, here's a module to use with bin/withlist like so:

python -i bin/withlist -r pws.pws <listname>

that will create a list of users and passwords, both non-digest
and digest.  As you can see, it's not magic; it's just
list.passwords[member].  You could post-process this output
with a shell script, or you could make it look up just one
member by, rather than running it from bin/withlist, incorporating
it into bin/withlist to make a separate Python program.

import sys

fmt = "%-40s\t%s"

def pws(list):

   for member in list.members.keys():
      print fmt % (member, list.passwords[member])

   for member in list.digest_members.keys():
      print fmt % (member, list.passwords[member])

   sys.exit(0)