[Mailman-Users] Re: mass delete

Barry McLarnon VE3JF bm at lynx.ve3jf.ampr.org
Fri Jun 2 16:41:12 CEST 2000

David Champion <dgc at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> I didn't see any need to explain it, really.  I don't think it's
> convenient at all, under many circumstances.  Suppose you have a list
> of 80 members, and each of your five is on a different page of the
> display.  You have the list of addresses in plain text in your email,
> but you have to click, look, click, look, click, look, click, look,
> click, look, click to remove them.  Many of my list admins don't even
> get this far, and many of my list admins' lists' members don't have any
> clue that they can unsub themselves.  They all write to me.  Now,
> sometimes I send them boilerplate telling them what to do, but
> sometimes it's less trouble just to do it.  This might be an education
> issue sometimes, but often it's not.

Good point.  Another thing to consider is that list admins don't always
have snappy connections to the Mailman server.  The server I take care of
is typically 15 hops away from where I sit, and it can be a pain waiting
for those pages to load.  Having a box to paste in the address(es) to
unsub would be a real plus.

> Worse, suppose that a list admin is asked to remove Grace Jones from
> the unemployed-actors list.  What's Grace's address?  Who knows?  She
> posts from a different address than she's subscribed under.  With some
> other MLM's this is easy: scan a text file, maybe "| grep -i jones".
> With Mailman, I go clicking on links until I spy it.

Another good point.  A simple search facility via the web interface would
be nice.

Despite these nits, I'm enjoying the Mailman Experience, having come over
from Listproc a few months ago.  Kudos to the developers!

Barry

  Barry McLarnon  VE3JF        |  bm at hydra.carleton.ca
  Ottawa Amateur Radio Club    |  bm at lynx.ve3jf.ampr.org
  Packet Working Group         |  http://hydra.carleton.ca