[Mailman-Users] Feature Request -- Again

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Jun 2 20:06:55 CEST 2000

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000 12:27:39 -0400
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com> wrote:

> Quoting Richard Pyne (rpyne at kinfolk.org):
>> I am finding more and more all the time that people are using
>> email addresses that have absolutely NO relationship to their
>> name and most of my administrative requests are of the nature
>> "Hi, I'm John Doe and my new email address is
>> hiphop at webmail.net. Can you please update my address?".

> The correct answer to that is:

> "No."

Umm, quite.  Its their job to handle their subscriptions, not mine.
Ahh well.  The other problem of course is that such messages are
very possibly forgeries, written to throw someone else off a list.
I used to CC my replies to all the addresses involved, checked
headers for signs of malfeasance, and generally waste a lot of
effort.  A subtle advantage of my current DIY approach is that the
instructions are only useful to someone who is who they claim to be.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu