[Mailman-Users] Re: New user comments

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 15 22:26:11 CEST 2000

On 2000.06.15, in <Pine.LNX.4.04.10006151113020.28207-100000 at archer.kd-dev.com>,
	"Derek Simkowiak" <dereks at kd-dev.com> wrote:
> -> I have a patch to newlist that has it automatically add the aliases to the
> -> file.  Do you want it?  Barry, should we put this in 2.0?
>
> 	Personally, I am against this kind of patch.  I don't want some
> random script messing with my system configuration files.  What if it's on
> a (slow, dangerous) networked filesystem?  What if I'm using NIS?  What if
> the script fscks up and I'm left without a backup of my config file?

It can be optional, of course.

I use a similar modificiation, and it's fine.  It appends (no
interpolation) to a different alias file that sendmail is configured to
use, then runs newaliases.

> 	I just want to have the aliases put into a text file (in ADDITION
> to being printed to the screen), so I don't have to be in an xterm for
> cut'n'paste.

Then you want the same patch, only you want to append to a different
file (not /etc/[mail/]aliases, and not to run newaliases.

Actually, mine is just a shell wrapper around newlist, so there's no
conflict at all.  We have a web form that people fill out when they
want new lists; the CGI that backs that form sends us information with
which to evaluate whether we'll issue the list, and generates
cut-and-pastable commands to create the list (and add the aliases).

--
 -D.	dgc at uchicago.edu	NSIT	University of Chicago