[Mailman-Users] "aliases" for subscriber addresses?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Jun 17 18:17:13 CEST 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:36:38 -0700
Eric D Christensen <edc at proadmin.com> wrote:

> Yes, agreed it's really the user's problem... but we're dealing
> with the "real" world here. Lots of gateway
> products... particularly older Mac, Novell and various Mainframe
> gateways really munge up email addresses for no apparent
> reason. As a system administrator it irritates the living crap out
> of me. But go try to convince a bunch of old school mainframe
> admins at someplace like General Motors or Bank of America that
> their PROFS gateway is broken. I'd get more satisfaction by
> hitting myself over the head with a 2x4 for a couple hours.

I've found good success in simply not letting those people be on my
lists, and telling them why.  They then bitch to the correct people
involved, both without involving me and usually with far more effect
than me.

> The other reason for having subscriber aliasing support (maybe
> better called "alternate addresses") is the more common problem of
> a user having 2 addresses... say home and work. They'd like to be
> able to post from more than one account, but that means that I
> inevitably end up doing the approval from one or the other.

I tell them to subscribe both and set one to NoMail.

> Some other list managers that I've worked with over the years have
> had this capability, and I've found it to be a handy feature.

You can also use the auto-approve-postings-from option in the
Privacy section.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu