[Mailman-Users] Extremely High Membership lists

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Wed Jun 28 23:56:01 CEST 2000

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:54:37 -0400
Neil Cooler <ncooler at nandomedia.com> wrote:

> First of all, can Mailman handle this?

Mailman 1.x can handle it, but I'd be a bit leery.  v2.x should do
much better but is still in beta.

> If so, do I need a stronger box, and perhaps another MTA, maybe
> postfix?

I would strongly recommend using either Postfix or Qmail.  You are
going to have to spend some time tuning your MTA and how you handle
your mail spools (batter-backed RAM disks are not a Bad Idea).
Running and maintaining a high volume mail server requires
particular skills and care no matter the choice of MTA.

Note: Strongly recommend the thread that ran here recently between
Chuq, Nigel, and myself under the subject, "Huge Lists".  Its not a
long thread, but the signal level is high.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...