[Mailman-Users] Extremely High Membership lists

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Thu Jun 29 01:23:37 CEST 2000

At 3:56 PM -0700 6/28/00, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

>	The last couple of posts suggest that Sendmail sucks eggs when
>compared to the alternatives.

Depends.

>  I've also read that Sendmail has a "shaky"
>security history.

arguable, depending on whether you're pro- or anti-sendmail.

>	So I'm left wondering: If Sendmail is so inferior, why is it so
>popular?

It came first. In fact, until the last couple of years, it was
basically the only serious option. People know it. They may not
always like it, but they know it and know how to make it work.

I think the security history arguments are questionable -- the main
reason there have been so many security issues with sendmail is
because it IS the default/only one out there, so everyone pounded on
it. And the other MTAs were able to learn from sendmail's mistakes.
In reality, sendmail's done a good job of closing out holes when they
crop up, and current versions are solid.

it's really easy to walk a minefield if you come last and avoid all
of the holes in the ground. sendmail drew the map, and will happily
show you its scars.

It's very fashionable to bash sendmail, but sendmail was slogging
email around long before anyone else bothered to try. Wtihout
sendmail, it's really arguable that the internet would be what it is
today.

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"