[Mailman-Users] Extremely High Membership lists

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Thu Jun 29 03:23:07 CEST 2000

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:46:17 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> At 7:27 PM -0400 6/28/00, Neil Cooler wrote:
>> I haven't had anyone tell me that mailman is NOT the proper list
>> manager for this application yet, so I am still working towards
>> my 11:00 AM tomorrow deadline to have mailman working and in
>> production with several smaller internal lists.

> I made the decision not to go production until Barry finished B3.

I've stuck with v1.1 in production systems here.

I also have significant problems with the new moderation interface
which has removed significant functionality by showing only an
excerpted/truncated version of the held message in a TEXTAREA rather
than the entire message.  The old format of showing the entire
message allowed me as list moderator:

  a) To know exactly what I was approving, and thus not miss
  something untoward toward the end of a message.

  b) To copy off the held message locally, for local editing and
  resubmitting, say with editorial/moderation comments.

The new moderation interface prevents both those abilities, and is
not configurable to return to the old format.

Bad stuff.

Barry: If I submit a patch to make this a configurable option, what
the chance of getting this in before release (presuming decent
code)?  I can't use 2.x at all without being able to see the entire
message in the moderation interface.

> Barry won't do that until this re-send problem is resolved. If
> your deadline is tomorrow, in your position, I'd call in sick and
> wait for B3.....

Not a bad choice if he could make it.

That said, he has the opportunity to start out slow (internal lists
et al).  v1.1 is nto a bad choice for that _IF_ the timing of when
he has to import more populous lists (say over 5,000 members) can be
held off for a little while.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...