[Mailman-Users] Default option about whether to archive or not

JOHN BLEASDALE jbleasdale at rm.com
Thu Jun 29 16:32:13 CEST 2000

I am getting confused about how to configure a default archiving option for
new lists that I create.

I have the defaults set up as I require and these work fine for new lists,
except for the "Archive messages?" option which always starts on Yes. For
efficency, I want this to default to No, but start archiving if the list
owner changes it to Yes. I have searched through Defaults.py and cannot find
a way of ensuring that the "Archive messages?" option starts on No.

I am using 2.0b2 and have entries in mm_cgf.py for PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL,
PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL, PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER and PRIVATE_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER
all set up to use MHonArch. I also have ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX = 0 and this is
causing me most confusion.

Defaults.py says:

# ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX
#-1 - do not do any archiving
# 0 - do not archive to mbox, use builtin mailman html archiving only
# 1 - archive to mbox to use an external archiving mechanism only
# 2 - archive to both mbox and builtin mailman html archiving -
#     use this to make both external archiving mechanism work and
#     mailman's builtin html archiving.  the flat mail file can be
#     useful for searching, external archivers, etc.

This option suggests how archiving shoulld work, _if archiving is desired_
rather than whether it shoud happen by default.

Have I missed something obvious?

Thanks,
John

STANDARD DISCLAIMER: This message is confidential. You should not copy it or
disclose its contents to anyone. You may use and apply the information only
for the intended purpose. Internet communications are not secure and
therefore RM does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this
message. Any views or opinions presented are only those of the author and
not those of RM. If this email has come to you in error please delete it and
any attachments.