[Mailman-Users] Question: signup box kluge

Christopher Kolar ckolar at admin.aurora.edu
Thu Jun 29 23:39:45 CEST 2000

At 08:07 PM 6/28/2000, Dan wrote:
>The answer was "what's the question"?
>
>What does it mean to "type an email address and hit a submit button"?
>Yeah, one could add that right away:
>
><FORM METHOD=POST ACTION=....uh....what?>

[note to developers: is there a more elegant way to implement this?]

The list is not being very helpful today.  I think that what this person
wants is something like the quickie subscription boxes that you see for
eGroups of ListBot.    I have been working on something like this for a few
lists that I run.  As long as security is not that important, it is
possible to work the subscription box into a web page.

NOTE: this is a really quick kluge.

NoTE:  this is really not secure, I only use it on lists where it does not
matter that much.

To use:

Drop into a page.  Edit the ACTION line to point to the proper
server/listname on your MM server.  Also edit the two password fields so
that they are the same.  What this will do is provide an initial password
for the user, making joining easy.  What this will also do is provide the
same initial password for all users, so IT IS NOT REALLY SECURE.  At least
change it to something sufficiently random looking to encourage people to
change it themselves.

Here is the HTML:

<!-- Begin insecure MM list signup box kluge. -->

<FORM METHOD="POST"
  ACTION="http://www.aocn.aurora.edu/mailman/subscribe/ilcomnets">
<!-- You will need to customize the above line for your site and list.
--><P> </P>
<TABLE COLS="1" BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="4" CELLPADDING="5">
<TR>
<TD COLSPAN="2" WIDTH="100%" BGCOLOR="#99CCFF" ALIGN="CENTER"> <B><FONT
COLOR="#000000" SIZE="+1">ilcomnets -- Illinois Community Networking
List</FONT></B> </TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD COLSPAN="2" WIDTH="100%" BGCOLOR="#FFF0D0"> <B><FONT
COLOR="#000000">Subscribing to ilcomnets</FONT></B> </TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD COLSPAN="2"> <P> Subscribe to ilcomnets by filling out the following form.
You will be sent email requesting confirmation, to prevent others from
gratuitously subscribing you. This is a private list, which means that the
members list is not available to non-members. </P>
<TABLE WIDTH="65%">
<TR>
<TD>Your email address:</TD>
<TD><INPUT TYPE="Text" NAME="email" SIZE="30"></TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD COLSPAN="2"><INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="pw" SIZE="15"
VALUE="ENTERSOMETHING"><INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="pw-conf" SIZE="15"
VALUE="ENTERSOMETHING"> </TD>
</TR>
<!-- The terms ENTERSOMETHIN should be replaced on your site with something
random. Note that this is the default password and it will be the same for
everyone, so do not use this on a list where you need to have real
security.  --><TR>
<TD>Would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily digest? </TD>
<TD><INPUT TYPE="radio" NAME="digest" VALUE="0" CHECKED="CHECKED"> No
<INPUT TYPE="radio" NAME="digest" VALUE="1"> Yes </TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD COLSPAN="2"> <CENTER>
<INPUT TYPE="Submit" NAME="email-button" VALUE="Subscribe">
</CENTER>
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
</FORM>

<!-- End insecure MM list signup box kluge. -->

And if anyone posts this without modification and I start to see lots of
subscribers to ilcomnets then I will come after you with a vengeance.

--chris

--
  Christopher G. Kolar