[Mailman-Users] Setting up read-only list

Scott Russell scottrus at raleigh.ibm.com
Thu Mar 2 20:59:08 CET 2000

> 1. How can Mailman be configured for a read-only list?  Only want list
> owner/admin to post messages - as in a newsletter type mailing

Yes. Set the "Posting restricted to list members" option to "No" and the
"Are there implicityl approved people" option to "Yes" then provide a list
of approved email addresses for posting. Also, it would be a good idea to
have the default reply go to the 'Poster', again an option to set. That way
it takes a bit more effort if people try to reply to the list instead of the
poster.

> 2. Is there still no way to disable the user password req upon
> subscription?  Or is there any "recommended" way of having a password
> assigned by Mailman?  Bottom line is that we want subscribers to only
> have to enter their email address.  Nothing more.

You can create your own subscription form that generates an email to the
yourlist-request@ address. In this email you can give a subscription command
w/o a password option. Mailman will then automatically generate a password
for the user. Also, turn off the montly password reminders. Downside is to
unsubscribe they'll need that password or they mailman-owner password, which
you *don't* want to give out.

Along the same lines, instead of using cgi -> email for membership subs/unsubs
you can try to have your cgi call the approprate /usr/home/mailman/bin tool
to subscribe/unsubscribe members. Again, this involves custom forms/cgis on
your part.

Beware, I've tried neither of these two idea but it seems reasonable something
like this could be hacked together.

--
Regards,
 Scott Russell (scottrus at raleigh.ibm.com)