[Mailman-Users] hyper-mail vs. pipermail??

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Mar 7 18:38:53 CET 2000

On Tue, 07 Mar 2000 11:00:36 -0500
Jim Tay <jtay at YorkU.CA> wrote:

>> i use this technique to create a Reply mailto link in the
>> BOTLINKS section of each message and i use
>> listname at mailman.my.domain as the reply address.

> Does the new reply get threaded properly in the archive when you
> do this?  I assume that it would since MHonArc can do threading
> based on just the subject, but it would be nice to get some
> confirmation.

I you insert the appropriate In-Reply-To: header with the MsgID of
the original message, yes.

>> i saw your other message about netscape, in-reply-to and message
>> id, and i assume this is related.  i don't know the answer to
>> your question about netscape and in-reply-to, but with respect to
>> mhonarc, the message id is one of the variables that you can use
>> in the mhonarc resources i mentioned above.  so, you could
>> include the mssage id in the html that mhonarc creates, but i
>> don't know how this will be useful to your mua.

> I asked about the in-reply-to and message id stuff because
> pipermail needs the message id to handle threading properly, but I
> figured I didn't need to worry about message ids with MHonArc
> since it can thread based on the subject of the message.

MHonArc uses several techniques for threading encluding
In-Reply-To:, References:, and Subject: line sorting.  The idea is
that by using them all it has a decent chance of getting it right,
or at least close enough for govenment work.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu