[Mailman-Users] hyper-mail vs. pipermail??

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Mar 7 18:41:39 CET 2000

On Tue, 07 Mar 2000 11:05:24 -0500
Jim Tay <jtay at YorkU.CA> wrote:

>> It doesn't do that automatically, but it is a fairly easy task to
>> setup the RC's to generate a "REPLY" button which POSTs the
>> relevent data from the message in question to a CGI which then
>> allows a message to be edited and sent.

> Why do I need a cgi script?  I thought a simple mailto: link would
> be enough; upon clicking the link the user's mua would execute and
> from there they can quote the message as they choose.  And MHonArc
> can do threading based on the message subject so the original
> message id is not needed.  At least I think this is the case...

1) I won't quote the message for them -- they are left ot manually
cut'n'paste the message in to quote.

2) It won't put in the appropriate In-Reply-To: or References:
header to generate correct threading for either your list members or
the archive.

3) MHonArc will be left trying to thread the message based on
subject line alone, and thus may or may not get it right (most
likely it will get it wrong, but put it near the right place).

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                              Other: coder at kanga.nu