[Mailman-Users] Setting up read-only list

Michael E. Fryd mfryd at neucoimage.com
Sun Mar 26 01:34:47 CET 2000

I am in the process of setting up a read-only mailing list.
Because the list should be read-only, I have set it to require
approval for all posts.

The list is to be a daily joke, sent out once a day.

I would like to set up a cron job to send each day's message.  How do I send
a message from the local machine which doesn't require administrative approval?

My first though was to define an address that is allowed to post
without approval, and then forge that address from the cron job.
However, anyone who figured out the address could then post from any
machine.

My preference is to set up the list security, so unapproved messages
can only be sent by a program running directly on the mailman host
machine.  This should provide more security to prevent unwanted
posts.   I would then have the daily cron job queue that day's
message using the program.

Is this possible?  Is it easy?  Am I better off just relying on using
a secret address for the sender?

I am using mailman 1.1 on a Solaris 7 machine.

-Thanks
  Michael Fryd

jokes at: <URL:http://www.randomjoke.com/>

  Michael E. Fryd              http://michael.fryd.com/
  Neuco Image Group, Inc.    e-mail: mfryd at neucoimage.com
  523 Michigan Avenue         Phone: (305) 673-5200
  Miami Beach, FL  33139-6317   Fax: (305) 673-2950

  Neuco Image Group, Inc.    e-mail: mfryd at neucoimage.com