[Mailman-Users] Administrative roles?

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Fri May 26 05:44:08 CEST 2000

My mailman site has 570+ lists, and support has gotten to be a huge
headache for our system administration staff.  We're trying to offload
this to our general help-desk staff.  These staff need minimally to be
able to view certain settings in list admins' and subscribers'
configurations.  Even better, we'd like them to be able to make
designated kinds of changes to the configurations.  But we don't want
them to be full-fledged site administrators.

Are there any plans to implement administrative roles in Mailman such
that we can have all we've ever wanted?  Presumably this would be
predicated on a notion of a "user", although, as in SNMP, it would
suffice for the "user name" and authenticator to be the same thing.
If no roles, what about another site-admin password level which gets
you read-only, or gives you access to existing lists/users, but not the
ability to add/remove users?

Is any of this now possible, or ever?

Thanks.

--