[Mailman-Users] Large-number of users in Mailman/switching fr om Listproc

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Wed May 31 06:26:57 CEST 2000

[snip]
> The package is severely underdocumented.  For a lot of people, it's
> sufficiently self-documenting, or they just don't care about what they
> don't understand.  But we do spend upward of an hour per day dealing
> with list support issues of one kind or another.  Often the
> information
> is there, but they simply don't "get it".  I'm not convinced this is
> strictly a reading-comprehension problem.  The people we spend most
> time with have technical problems with how, or how well,
> Mailman passes
> mail through cleanly, or they can't figure out how which
> options to use
> -- generally NOT stuff covered in the Aurora documentation project,
> which we've linked to.

Since I've only got 2 lists on my server right now (test, and test2), I
can't comment on performance, but I will do so on the documentation.  There
isn't much.  Not hard to get installed, although binary packages would be
nice.  Looks like we'll be using this when fall rolls around for all of our
lists at the University where I work, so I will at least have to write
something that I send to the profs who will be running the lists.

Oh, one more thing. 8^) It would be nice if there was some way to set
defaults for EVERYTHING, through the web interface.  The suggestions that
I've gotten for setting reply-to: headers to the list by default are to go
in and change mm_config.py, or some other damn file.  I know it's evil, but
half of the people on our lists don't know even know how to turn on a
computer, so it's definately a necessity for our environment.
Later,
	Greg