[Mailman-Users] Problem with qrunner and too much incoming mail

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Nov 4 01:35:16 CET 2000

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000 14:50:45 -0800
Marc MERLIN <marc_news at valinux.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 12:53:35PM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> Further, in the case of Exim IIRC, it can be configured to not do
>> DNS lookups on RCPT addresses messages at the time of receipt by
>> the MTA based on the IP address/net of the source.  Thus you
>> could configure Exim to not do DNS lookups on everything received
>> from localhost.  Nigel -- can you confirm this?  I didn't see
>> this on a quick skim on the Exim docs but I seem to recall
>> discussion of how to do this previously.

> Mmhhh, it has to do a dns lookup on the receipients if it wants to
> deliver the Email (you're probably thinking no lockup on the
> sender, which you can set as trusted).

True.  The intent is to move the DNS query from list delivery time
to MTA query time, thus taking the delay out of Mailman at the
expense of the MTA et al.

> One option is to just blindly accept everything and spool it. You
> end up with a lot of spool and disk I/O that you really didn't
> have to do if you had done direct delivery from memory.

Which only works in the case of pass-thru, which is a pretty rough
assumption.  The guaranteed veracity requirements of MTA's pretty
much insist on it hitting disk (or else the mail would be lost if
Exim crashed/was_killed at that instant).

> That said, those are exim concerns and I have a separate thread
> about this on the exim list.

Ahh, I hadn't noticed that yet.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu