[Mailman-Users] An interesting statistic.

Bill Carlson wcarlson at vh.org
Thu Nov 9 16:02:54 CET 2000

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> I thought people might find these numbers interesting.
>
> One of my servers sends out newsletters. Those newsletters are
> avilable both in HTML format and text format -- users can subscribe
> for whichever they prefer, although HTML is the default. Because of
> limitations in the AOL clients, we force AOL.com addresses to the
> text version.
>
> I think this list gives a good indication of acceptance of HTML email.
>
> My numbers:
>
> HTML: 85.4%
> AOL:  12.9%
> Text:  1.5%

Your data is skewed because HTML is a default rather than a forced choice.

One could also say that the majority of users don't change the defaults,
which would ring true with my experience.

I am on quite a few mailing lists, though admittedly most are
Unix-related. The flames for people who post in HTML keep me warm at
night (no, I certainly don't flame them). :)

$.02,

Bill Carlson
--
Systems Programmer    bill-carlson at uiowa.edu	|  Opinions are mine,