[Mailman-Users] Huge duplication of posts

Shane Wegner shane at cm.nu
Wed Nov 22 00:42:03 CET 2000

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 06:23:33PM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     CVR> It's likely to happen after things like ahrdware upgrades,
>     CVR> really significant software upgrades, and hardware
>     CVR> failures. any time they have to rebuild their databases,
>     CVR> you're hosed.
>
>     CVR> Mixed blessing -- lots of overhead for very occasional acts
>     CVR> of chaos -- and the dataset you need to keep can get huge.
>
> So, is there an 80/20 rule we can adopt?  Is the `catchup' button
> enough or do we need more?  I'm not psyched to burn tons of space
> holding data that may never be used.  Then again, if the message-id
> database is more generally useful, we can perhaps piggyback the nntp
> status on top of that.

Well one way to do it that wouldn't require so much space
is a session limit.  If for example we are checking the
NNTP server every 5 minutes, we connect and there are 500
new messages, it's probably safe to seek admin approval.
Of corse these numbers would vary from list to list.

Shane

Shane Wegner: shane at cm.nu
              http://www.cm.nu/~shane/
PGP:          1024D/FFE3035D