[Mailman-Users] A funny thing happened...

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Mon Oct 2 18:11:06 CEST 2000

chuqui at plaidworks.com said:

> 2) this probably should be chalked up as a vote for "making passwords
> optional" for lists. Personally, I think the added security passwords
> add is overwhelmed by the confusion and complexity they cause the
> user, so I'd like to turn them off. There are lists where they could
> be useful, but I could live without them...

Mailman certainly becomes a more attractive drop-in replacement
for majordomo if it has an option to turn off passwords.

With tens of thousands of subscribers on majordomo lists, SSC,
publishers of Linux Journal, plans to switch over to Mailman
when a few more beta issues get ironed out, and when support
for passwordless operation exists.  If it doesn't happen by
Spring, we'll probably hack it in ourselves, and offer our
patch.

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549             Phone:  206-782-7733 x123
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549              URL     http://www.ssc.com/