[Mailman-Users] Re: cleartext passwords

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Mon Oct 2 21:50:55 CEST 2000

At 3:25 PM -0400 10/2/00, Gary Wilson wrote:

>I wish there were a way to turn off passwords altogether. But there's not.
>And its not an option in beta6. Since there has been no comment on this
>subject by the primary developers, I think that you should assume that it
>won't be an option in version 2.0.

turning off passwords isn't a 2.0 thing. turning off reminders can be
done a few ways. that's not a problem.

>I wish one of the Mailman developers would make it clear whether or not
>passwords will be made optional, and if so when it will be implemented.

Well, basically right now, that means Barry. I believe he's said in
the past it'll be looked at. I can say that I'd be amazed if it
magically snuck into 2.0, since he wants it final a month ago.

And if it's really important to someone, don't wait for Barry. Start
coding, and submit the changes to SourceForge for evaluation.... it's
not like the code is proprietary. If you all wait for someone else to
do it, it'll get done on someone else's view of priorities...

I'd like to see optional passwords in 2.1, among other things. But
only Barry knows for sure, and I don't think he's really looking at a
2.1 deliverable list yet, he's worrying about finishing 2.0 first.

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.