[Mailman-Users] Re: cleartext passwords

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Mon Oct 2 23:28:35 CEST 2000

At 1:03 PM -0700 10/2/00, J C Lawrence wrote:
>As to how many, I don't know and I suspect the number would be
>extremely small (but would enclude me).  As to admin help, I don't
>believe that a list server should encourage traffic to the list
>owner, or even make it ever so slightly easier.
>
>My standard and rote policy is to always refuse all requests for
>help from me as the list owner.  I will not unsubscribe anyone, or
>change their list options for them.  I answer questions and point to
>things they can do for themselves.  I will point them at the list
>pages, and help them understand what they need to do, and that's
>about it.

thinking about it, if this is your policy, then you should be
screaming for a way for users to change their addresses without
unsubscribing and starting over, because that's easily 50% of the
requests I get sent. Everything else is a trivial priority compared
to that...

There's a lot of things we want to do with mailman. I think it's
important we figure out which ones are important and best affect the
users, and do those first... That is, I guess, the point I was trying
to make. Not that a feature like this isn't worthy, but that other
features are more worthy...

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.