[Mailman-Users] "unknown mailer error 1"

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at West.Sun.COM
Tue Oct 3 04:00:35 CEST 2000

> I've installed Mailman 2.0beta6 on a Solaris 7 system - Python 1.5.2 -
> GCC 2.95 - Sendmail 8.10.2 - Apache 1.3.12.  I've created a "test"
> mailing list, and have attempted to subscribe myself to it.  All of the
> subscription confirmations I send to "test-request@[my mail server]"
> bounce with the error message:

> |/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test
>     (reason: 1)
>     (expanded from: <test-request@[my mail server]>)

> sh: /home/mailman/mail/wrapper.mailcmd.test: not found

Those dots there are a clue.  I suspect something has interpreted
that command as an alias, so I suspect your aliases file says
something like:

test-request: |/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test

Try enclosing the whole thing in quotes, as bin/newlist says to do:

test-request: "|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test"