[Mailman-Users] Re: "download the full raw archive"

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 5 22:14:32 CEST 2000

On 2000.10.05, in <14812.57073.817910.35800 at anthem.concentric.net>,
	"Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw at beopen.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure what to do about it.  The links are useful and since the
> files are intended to be MUA-ready, munging the addresses is
> inconvenient.  I guess if the list admin is really worried about
> harvesting, she'll make the archives private and force access through
> the authentication page.
>
> Not a great position to take, I admit.

I think it's a fine position to take, as long as there's a way for the
concerned administrator to block access.  I'm disappointed when I can't
obtain virginal mbox archives of a list, and authenticating access is a
perfectly good solution to the harvester problem.

Maybe, as a compromise, the text and mbox links should be authenticated
even when the archives are private?

--
 -D.	dgc at uchicago.edu	NSIT	University of Chicago