[Mailman-Users] "Authentication failed".

Philip Priest ppriest at hydraweb.com
Thu Oct 12 00:01:44 CEST 2000

I have installed mailman-2.0beta6 on a test machine and followed all of
the instructions quite closely. I have created a test list, with an
administrative password of foo. When I attempt to log in to the
administrative pages I ma told "Authentication failed".

I have examined the situation closely, and I am absolutely certain that the
httpd server (apache) is passing all of the correct information to the
admin program (by way of stdin and environment variables). I have looked
through all of the documentation and the FAQ and found nothing that
indicates why this might be happening. However, strace did mention a
variety of failures related to opening/finding md5 files in
~mailman/Mailman directory -- could this be the problem?

Does anybody have any idea what is going on, or what the solution is?

Sincerely, Philip S. Priest.