[Mailman-Users] searching archives

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Oct 26 19:22:19 CEST 2000

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:04:07 -0500
Nick Marouf <marouf at earlham.edu> wrote:

> J C, I took your advice and got UdmSearch (mnoGoSearch) and am
> able to index the public archives by putting /mailman/archive in
> indexer.conf howerver for the private lists. is there a way that I
> can index them without making them public.

I haven't faced this problem as I use an external archiver rather
than Mailman's Pipermail, and I keep all archives public.

> I tried using
> http://emailadress:sitepasswd@www.test.com/mailman/private/listname
> in indexer, but that does not work.

No, it wouldn't.  That's for realm based authentication and in this
case Mailman is handling authentication on its own as a CGI.

> if that is not possible I would like to know, or if there is a
> way, any help would be gratealy appreciated.

I don't have time right now to dig into this in detail (sorry), but
you should be able do something like (untested):

  https://.../mailman/private/users/?username=XXX&password=YYY

The problem being of course that Mailman then wants to set a cookie
to grant subsequent authentications.  UdmSearch currently does not
process or store cookies...

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu