[Mailman-Users] Re: RC1 Seems to work but incoming mails are ignored

Michael Radziej mir at suse.com
Fri Oct 27 22:19:46 CEST 2000

On Fri, Oct 27, mailman-users-request at python.org wrote:

> Andreas Gruener wrote:
>
> > cool answer - am I supposed to grep for cron (I suppose you're talking
> > about the schedule daemon) in all faqs, readme, and docs, or is this
> > some kind of riddle.
> >
> > I'd really appreciate a little bit more details...
>
>     So, let me give you a bit more detail about this mysterious 'cron' Dan Mick
> suggested:  READ THE FINE MANUAL!  (I prefer not to be rude folks)

Andreas, play it cool, man. You're right, but I've seen discussions like
this a lot. Sometimes a poor soul is really just confused and missed
one particular sentence in an INSTALL or FAQ. Let's assume this is the
case.

Let's be userfriendly.

The INSTALL (mine is from beta6, yours may differ) file says:

    - Set up the crontab entries.  Mailman runs a number of cron jobs
      for its basic functionality.  You need to be user `mailman' (or
      whatever you specified as --with-ownername) to perform this
      step.  Add $prefix/cron/crontab.in as a crontab entry by
      executing these commands:

          % su - mailman
          % cd $prefix/cron
          % crontab crontab.in

If you've just missed that paragraph, well, go ahead. If you missed the
whole INSTALL file, read it carefully. It's not very long and contains a
lot of essential information. You will make a lot of people angry if you
don't read it and expect the list members to read it for you. All the
CAPITAL LETTERS documentation files are interesting. Say, are you used
to install software on Unix boxes?

> matter, put yourself in their shoes.  You write an instructions page, and
> people just ignore it.  How would that make you feel?

Andreas, you are still perfectly right.

Cheers,

Michael-reads-documentation-files-for-you

Michael Radziej                 - currently in Oakland -
SuSE GmbH, Interne EDV    Phone +1 510 628 3380 extension 5071
Michael.Radziej at suse.de   Cellular ("Handy") +1 49 1795977810
                  reply goes to list | reply goes to sender