[Mailman-Users] Mailman b5 lockup

Ron Jarrell jarrell at vt.edu
Tue Sep 5 09:28:05 CEST 2000

At 09:06 AM 9/4/00 +0200, Zeljko Vrba wrote:
>I'm experiencing lockups with qrunner process; this is the strace session:
>
>send(6, "ehlo inje.iskon.hr\r\n", 20, 0) = 20
>read(7, "250-inje.iskon.hr Hello root at loc"..., 4096) = 155
>send(6, "mail FROM:<ex-yu-a-lista-admin at z"..., 53, 0) = 53
>read(7, "250 <ex-yu-a-lista-admin at zamir.n"..., 4096) = 50
>send(6, "rcpt TO:<oliver.sertic at fpzg.hr>\r"..., 33, 0) = 33
>read(7,
>
>It blocks indefinetly in this last read. There exists no MX record for
>the fpzg.hr domain. Is this a bug in mailman, sendmail or both? Or BIND?
>I'm using mailman as a production-level mailing list system and this
>is pretty urgent. Please help!

It's not mailman; it's sendmail.  It validating the address.  DNS isn't responding,
and sendmail's timeouts are apparently set pretty high.  If you're planning on pumping
a lot of mail through, and it's not mostly end users who's clients would be smart enough
to stop the message if sendmail bitched then and there, reconfigure sendmail to not do
the initial dns work.  The messages will still hang up, if the domain is misconfigured like
that, but they'll hang in the sendmail queue, not at the mailman end.