[Mailman-Users] set up and install error - help

Leonardo Rochael Almeida lra at insite.com.br
Tue Sep 5 19:59:19 CEST 2000

Well, you have two problems here.

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Kirk R. Wythers wrote:

> I'm trying to get Mailman set up and I'm getting the following error:
>
> [mailman at lorax mailman-2.0beta5]$ bin/check_perms
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "bin/check_perms", line 35, in ?
>     import paths
> ImportError: No module named paths

bin/check_perms is supposed to be run AFTER it is installed, from insite
the mailman home to check if it has been installed successfuly.

> When I try and look at line 35, I get the following:
>
> [mailman at lorax bin]$ xemacs check_perms &
> [1] 14955
> [mailman at lorax bin]$ Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>
> Initialization error: X server not responding
> : ":0.0"
>
> What am I doing wrong here?

This is completely unrelated to mailman, but you probably "su"ed to root
and then to mailman, keeping the DISPLAY variable set, and mailman is not
authorized to connect to your X display, which is to be expected. You have
the following options:

* as yourself, run the command "xhost +" to disable X authentication, or

* as yourself, run "xauth list :0", and, as mailman, before running
xemacs, type  "xauth add <the result of running 'xauth list :0' as
yourself>" or

* type "export DISPLAY=" before running xemacs, so that xemacs runs in
console mode and don't try to connect to X

Regards, Leo