[Mailman-Users] Mailman/FreeBSD lockup

Mark Lysek mjl at squid.jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 8 04:34:47 CEST 2000

Help!,
My (brand new) Mailman installation locks up when posting messages about
50Kb or larger. (FreeBSD version 4.0, Mailman version 2.0beta5 installed
from the FreeBSD ports, Python 1.5.2 from the FreeBSD ports, Sendmail 8.9.3)

To isolate the problem, I created a list with only one subscriber on the
same host as the mailman installation.  When a 80Kb plaintext message is
posted to the list, qrunner stays around until it times out, without
completing it's session with sendmail.  The partially queued message is
consistently 49152 bytes long.  Shorter messages are delivered without any
problems.  While it's stuck, the following processes are hanging around:

mailman 39004  /bin/sh -c /usr/local/bin/python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/...
mailman 39005  /usr/local/bin/python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/qrunner
root    39007  sendmail: server localhost [127.0.0.1] child wait (sendmail)
root    39008  sendmail: TAA39008 localhost [127.0.0.1]: data (sendmail)

Is there a timeout setting that should be increased?

(This doesn't seem to be related to the problem mentioned in the mailman
README.BSD file, where they mention a known problem with the posixfile.py
module.  To be sure, I added "freebsd4" to the list of OS's in that patch.)

Thanks,
-Mark
mjl at squid.jpl.nasa.gov